Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Is this what old people do?

Three cardinals are meandering from treetop to treetop as I look out over my backyard from my perch on the second floor in my dining room turned computer/scrapbook room. I love sitting here as it is so peaceful watching the trees and flowers bloom while the squirrels race from tree to tree chasing their comrades.

My husband was in his jammies at 7:15 last night. I fell asleep on the couch at 7:30.
"Is this what old people do?", my husband continues to ask.

I love it.

For 17+ years I was never allowed the luxury of a nap. Who can nap with babies/infants/toddlers/teenagers (especially teenagers!)??? If I wasn't running someone to practice, or a game, or an appointment, I was cooking. cleaning,(well, not so much),or washing laundry or dishes.

Not that I minded it. In fact when I was in that season of my life, I loved it, couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, and in retrospect, it went waaaay too fast. My nights are my own, I can choose to go to bed at 7:00 or stay up reading until midnight if I want. I am not scheduled by someone else's activities. If I want to stay home, I can stay home. Not like the weeks when I was gone every single night with a different place I had to be for someone else.

So if you are in the midst of I never get a nap, I am always on the run, always in the car, always exhausted mode, take heart and slow down.... It doesn't last forever, you WILL miss it at some point in your life, and you will get through it. Allow yourself the luxury of saying no. Your kids will grow up just fine if they're not on a travel team at age 8, or 10. Make family night a priority.Have family dinners. Make those memories. Kids won't remember how many games you dragged them to, but they will remember the day you had a picnic in the house because it was pouring down rain outside.

I do miss those days, am thankful I survived, and am content in my season right now. "For I have learned to be content..."
And tonight I am looking forward to doing what old people do.

1 comment:

  1. Okay old woman, sometimes I am in my jammies at 4:00p.m., but I do love my jammies. I am in the season of baseball and running around like a crazy person. I did make up a cassarole recipe last night, went over pretty well. Miss your face.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas

The Fam

The Fam
The State of Relaxation in Florida

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mover extraordinaire (is that a word?), happily married to a football coach for 31 years. Mother of three amazing children,(one still on the payroll) and one daughter-in-law. Teacher (special education),speaker, presenter, writer. One of my passions is sharing with others to encourage them. Another is chocolate, especially M&Ms.