Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day

Bittersweet. That's what Mother's Day is to me. I am so blessed and thankful to be the mother of three amazing children (now young adults!). Yet I am sad as I lost my mother when I was 17- she died of breast cancer. So I have known my children and my mother-in-law much longer than I knew my own mom. Not that anyone can EVER take the place of your mother, but God has totally blessed me with a very loving step-mom and mother-in-law that I am extremely close with.

My mom-in-law and I can talk for hours...she was our son's first babysitter when I tearfully had to go back to work when he was 5 months old. Then we moved out of state when he was 17 months old and she accused us of kidnapping her baby! I am so thankful that someone who loves him as much as I do was able to see him take his first steps, and let me know every day what new trick he did! Thanks, Mama Gina.

And my step mom that parented me from afar, letting me know each time I talk with her (continuing today!) that she prays for me (and my family) each day, by NAME. Not generic- please bless them, but by name. That so speaks to me. Thanks, Mom.

So even if you don't have your mom with you, look for the wondrous people that God has put into your life to bless you in the absence of your mom. It might be a neighbor, or a mentor at church. As I get older, I also look for the younger person who may have lost their mom, and try to be there for them. I am so thankful for how God provides for me, and always has. So go hug your mom, tell her you love her. And if she's not there, find someone who is.

My friend came in this morning and introduced me to a song by Rascal Flats- I love the words, so I am copying them here from cowboylyrics.com. The song is called My Wish. She got it in a card for her daughter who is graduating from high school, but I think it is a great wish for our families also. Be blessed!

My Wish- Rascal Flats
I hope that the days come easy and the moments pass slow,
And each road leads you where you want to go,
And if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile,

But more than anything, more than anything,
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

I hope you never look back, but ya never forget,
All the ones who love you, in the place you left,
I hope you always forgive, and you never regret,
And you help somebody every chance you get,
Oh, you find God's grace, in every mistake,
And you always give more than you take

This is my wish
I hope you know somebody loves you
May all your dreams stay big

(some verses are repeated in the full song)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas

The Fam

The Fam
The State of Relaxation in Florida

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mover extraordinaire (is that a word?), happily married to a football coach for 31 years. Mother of three amazing children,(one still on the payroll) and one daughter-in-law. Teacher (special education),speaker, presenter, writer. One of my passions is sharing with others to encourage them. Another is chocolate, especially M&Ms.