Monday, August 24, 2009

I am woman hear me roar!

I just changed /replaced a toilet seat. Dang plastic bolt wouldn't come off, so I got the handy dandy saw out and cut through the stripped plastic screw. Replaced it with new and improved metal hinges. And it works!

This was after I went to the post office, did two loads of laundry, went to Bed, Bath & Beyond to get above toilet seat, put air in the tires of a car, and helped give an enema to a neighbor's child who was in dire misery. This was after working from 8-3:30. I won't even go into what I do there on a daily basis. Suffice it to say that my should be 50 minute lunch is only 30 minutes, which was interrupted today by an errant fire drill, which meant I had to gulp down my vittles in less than 20 minutes. And I never did eat dinner, unless you call a half of a peanut butter sandwich on the way to B,B,& B dinner.

The funny thing is, I don't even think about doing all these things until my mother in law called in the middle of all this and asked what I was doing. And then it hit me. WAAAAyy too much!
I know everyone is extremely busy, and we all wear our busy badges. At some point, however, we as a culture need to say slow down. This was not where I was going with this blog at all, but bear with me.

When was the last time you played a game, just to play a game? This summer, my two girls, a neighbor, and her mother and I all played various tables of Euchre. I hadn't played since college , and had forgotten how much fun it could be. We laughed, ( a lot!) and I learned that when you are "in the barn" ( meaning you have one trick left to win) you can put the two scoring cards behind your ears, like an animal ( donkey?). You had to be there, anyway we all got our picture taken at one time or another with our ears sticking out and cards flapping .

So I encourage you to slow down, take some time to play. The toilet seats , tires , and enemas can wait. (well, maybe not the latter). What are your favorite relaxation games?

1 comment:

  1. game? but crafting and reading help me relax. watching "my three sons" tv. watching the rain fall. games i like scattergories. (sp) love you!

    ReplyDelete

Christmas

The Fam

The Fam
The State of Relaxation in Florida

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mover extraordinaire (is that a word?), happily married to a football coach for 31 years. Mother of three amazing children,(one still on the payroll) and one daughter-in-law. Teacher (special education),speaker, presenter, writer. One of my passions is sharing with others to encourage them. Another is chocolate, especially M&Ms.