Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Traveling

I love to travel. It started when I was nine years old and went on a plane to visit my dad who had moved to Arizona. The first year I went with my 16 year old cousin, whom I thought was sooo old at the time. (Nowadays I would hesitate sending a 16 year old by her herself halfway across the country. Times have changed.) I was hooked. I loved flying above and through the puffy marshmallow clouds. The thrill of getting off the plane to be greeted by my dad and my new family never grew old. The smell of orange blossoms still transports me back to the moment the first wave of hot air hits me as I exit the airport. Even now, some 45+ years later, that smell evokes the same emotions.
But I digress. For the past five years, our family has chosen to make a memory at Christmas, in lieu of buying and giving gifts that no one needs (or at times wants!) So we have vacationed at a magical place in Florida called Anna Maria Island. It is a hidden treasure. This year funds are extremely tight, yet we are still trying to go. So my days and nights have been spent trying to find airfare from here, as well as getting my son and his soon to be fiancee reservations from Utah to meet in Florida. Easier said than done. As much as I love to fly, we may be driving. In "The Boat", a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis. They will see us coming- the Clampetts on vaca. We'll take pictures!
There is nothing more important than celebrating the birth of Christ- especially with your loved ones. How do you plan to celebrate? What are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas

The Fam

The Fam
The State of Relaxation in Florida

Followers

About Me

My photo
Mover extraordinaire (is that a word?), happily married to a football coach for 31 years. Mother of three amazing children,(one still on the payroll) and one daughter-in-law. Teacher (special education),speaker, presenter, writer. One of my passions is sharing with others to encourage them. Another is chocolate, especially M&Ms.